Configuring a Task
When you create a new Task, you need to enter some general information, like the name, description and who should complete it. You also need to specify what actions the Client or Team Member must do in order to complete this Task.
The Configure Task Window
The Configure Task window has four sections.
- Select a Task Template – if you don’t want to create the same Task over and over again, you can save a Task Template and use it as the basis for this new Task.
- General Task Information – this is the minimum amount of information that is required to create a Task.
- Menu to select the actions that must be completed – you can select the actions you require before the Task can be completed.
- Action Configurator – this section is where you enter the information that is required to configure an action in the Task.
General Task Information
Every Task has some fields in common, regardless of the actions that are part of the Task.
- Name – this is the name that will be shown when the Team Member or Client views the Task. It is also the text that is displayed at the top of the Dossier page in the list of Tasks.
- (Optional) Assigned Team Member – this is the assigned Team Member for this Task.
- Who should complete this Task – here you specify whether the Task is to be completed by a Team Member or the Client.
- (Optional) Deadline – The number of days the Client or Team Member has to complete this Task. This deadline starts counting from the moment the Task becomes active.
- Next Button – this is the text that is displayed on the button that a Client or Team Member must click in order to complete this Task and proceed to the next.
- Hidden for clients – you can specify whether you want to hide this Task from Clients.
- Description – this description explains what the Task is to your Team Member or Client. This description can be seen by Clients and Team Members alike.
- Internal description – this description will be visible only to Team Members.
Use the internal description to give some additional instructions to Team Members.
This is how the Task will look to the Client or Team Member who has to complete it:
- Deadline – this is calculated as the number of days since the Task became active.
- Internal Description
- The person who should complete this Task – this will show the Client’s avatar or one belonging to a Team Member
Picking the actions in a Task
Below we will specify what each of the options means, but for now it is important to know that you can specify what kind of actions must be completed before the Task can be completed.
Just click the checkbox for the actions you want to include. Then click on the name of the action to start configuring the action.
Adding some actions, means you cannot add certain other actions. In how to complete a Task we explain that there are three types of ways to complete a Task:
- Click the Next Button
- Pay an Invoice
- Agree with something
Only one of these rules can be used per Task. So, either someone clicks next, pays or agrees, but not more than one. That means that:
- If you enable invoicing, you can no longer pick a text for the Next button (and the button will not be displayed) and you cannot also select Ask for approval.
- If you ask for an approval, you can no longer pick a text for the Next button (and the button will not be displayed) and you cannot also select Issue an invoice and request payment.
Ordering the actions in a Task
If you want to change the order in which the actions are displayed to the Team Member or Client who has to complete the Task, you can drag and drop the items in the actions list with your mouse.
If you need a Client or a Team Member to upload a new file or attach an existing Document, this is the action for you. You can ask for as many Documents as you like. Each line will be displayed as an individual Documents Widget when a Client or Team Member has to complete the Task.
To request a Document:
- On the first empty row type a name into the name field.
- (Optional) Add a description of the Document(s) you want to receive, so the Client or Team Member who has to deliver the Document knows what is expected.
- (Optional) Add Document labels to easily identify these Documents later on.
To change the order of requested Documents you can click and hold the move icon in front of the row and drag it to the position you want.
If you want to remove a Document request, click the X to the right of the row.
This is how it will look to the Client or Team Member who has to provide the Documents:
Use this action to share some Documents with your Team Members or Client. This step is ideal for brochures, flyers, terms & conditions or other files that are identical for every Client.
When you configure this action, you will see a Document Widget to which you can add the files you wish to attach to this Task. If you want to add an additional Document Widget in the Task, you can click the Add another group of files link.
On the Dossier page, these files will be presented as follows:
Ask for approval
If you need an affirmative answer to a question before you can proceed, you can add this action type. Use cases might be when you want somebody to confirm they approved a draft document or you want them to indicate if they were happy with your service.
To configure this action, you:
- Enter the text that they will be agreeing to.
- Pick the text on the button the Client clicks if they agree.
- Pick the text on the button the Client clicks if they disagree.
- (Optional) Check the box to demand the Client enter their password before they may proceed to complete this Task.
On the Dossier page, this approval action will be presented as follows:
Ask a question
If you want to ask a question that cannot be answered with a simple yes or no, you can include a comment box. Simply type the question you want your Client or Team Member to answer.
On the Dossier page, this question will be presented as follows:
Allow renaming dossier
If you want to allow a Client to rename a Dossier, you can enable this action.
In the text field you explain to your Client what the rules for renaming are. Why do you want them to rename this Dossier? What name should they give it?
If you check the checkbox for “Client needs to change the name of this dossier”, it is mandatory for the Client to rename the Dossier. If you do not check this, the Client may leave the Dossier name the same.
On the Dossier page, this question will be presented as follows:
Issue an invoice and request payment
If you want to receive payment from your Client before they may complete the Task, you can do so using this action type.
To do so, you must select an Invoice Template. What happens when this Task becomes active depends on the two other settings.
If you select “A team member must approve the invoice before it is sent” then at the moment this Task becomes the current Task, the assigned Team Member receives a Notification to let them know they must approve the Invoice first. They will be presented with the Invoice Template you attached in this configuration, but they may modify this the Invoice before they submit it. (Any modifications are only stored for this particular Invoice; the Invoice Template is not changed.) Only after a Team Member has manually issued the Invoice, does your Client get the Notification that he has an Invoice to pay.
If you select “The Client must pay before he may download the documents in this task” then any files that you add to this Task in the attach Documents action or a Team Member uploads in a request Documents action can only be downloaded by a Client after he has paid the Invoice.
Note: if the Task is assigned to a Team Member and the Request Documents action is enabled, then “A team member must approve the invoice before it is sent” is always enabled.
On the Dossier page, if a Document can only be downloaded after Payment, the Client will see a partially disabled Document Widget:
Add additional information
If you think your Team Member or Client needs more information before they can complete this Task, you can use this action type to add a link to a website.
On the Dossier page, this additional information will be presented as follows: